Early risers see it before the sun hits the horizon.
Passing the flickering lights of Midwestern kitchens, you notice the twinkle of electronics.
At last check, radios don’t twinkle.
Forget Internet, Smart Phones, Connect Car and other excuses.
The REAL threat is sitting – on the kitchen counter.
Morning media brands are losing – to Good Morning America.
Sure, GMA have seven anchors and contributors and consistently gets A-List guests and access.
Smartly, their producers have taken radio basics, often lost in today’s morning media – performing them beautifully.
And – you can too!
Here’s just a few:
- Good Morning America pre-sells EVERY element, every time.
- Good Morning America makes time-exact appointments with the audience
- The news launches at the same time every hour (If not, they tell you so)
- Each segment is timed exactly – so exceptions
- Interviews have effective forward momentum – often pre-recorded
- One Thought (Subject) Per Break – every segment has one purpose
- Health, nutrition, fitness and relationships are the order of every day
- Female-friendly guests populate every show
- Who else would do a segment on foods that are good for – your hair!
Coach your morning brand(s) o understand the basics of benchmarking, consistently on time for the audience and content build for YOUR target.
And – just because he’s available, park the Monster Truck Champion interview.
Be Good Morning America of YOUR market – and become a competitive threat!
Next Week: Same As It Ever Was!
Kevin Robinson is a record-setting and award-winning programmer. His brands consistently perform in the Top 3 of the target – often times as the list leader. In his 35 years of radio, he’s successfully programmed or consulted nearly every English language radio brand. Known largely as a trusted talent coach, he’s the only personality mentor who’s coached three different morning shows on three different stations in the same major market to the #1 position. His efforts have been recognized by Radio & Records, NAB’s Marconi, Radio Ink and has coached CMA, ACM and Marconi winning talent. Kevin lives in St. Louis with his wife of 30 years, Monica. Reach Kevin at (314) 882-2148 or robinsonmedia.fm.